“Khichadi” is a popular Indian preparation where rice and daal(lentils) are used to prepare a steaming hot main course. While most khichadis are non-spicy/less spicy and rather plain, this variation – “Masoor Daal Khichadi” which is prepared using Red Lentils, adds a bit of spice to make it lip-smacking. Do try!
- Rice – 2 bowls
- Masoor Dal(Red Lentils) – 3/4 bowl
- Cinnamon pieces – 2 (For Masala)
- Big Cardamom – 2 (For Masala)
- Garlic petals – 8 to 10 – cut into big pieces
- Pure Ghee(Clarified Butter) – Half bowl
- Turmeric powder – Half tsp
- Bay leaf – 1 (For tempering)
- Cardamom – 2 (for tempering)
- Coriander – cut into pieces – 1 bowl
- Green Chillies – 4
- Garlic piece – 1 – cut into 3-4 pieces
- Salt as per taste
- Onions – cut vertically – 2
- Mix the Masoor Dal and Rice and wash them thoroughly 3 to 4 times.
- For the masala, let us take in the mixer bowl – Green Chillies(cut into medium sized pieces), Garlic, Ginger, Cinnamon, Big Cardamom and Coriander. Dice the same in the mixer into a fine paste.
- Heat a pan on the gas and add the pure ghee.
- Add the Cardamom and Bay Leaf and saute slightly.
- Add the Onion pieces and saute the same for about half a minute.
- Add the diced Masala and saute it along with the Onion for about a minute.
- Add Turmeric powder and salt according to your taste and mix it.
- Add the washed Rice-Masoor Daal mixure and mix it well.
- Add 5 bowls of water(heated) to the Rice. Kindly note that the actual quantity of water depends on the type and age of rice being used. You may modify it accordingly. Let it cook for about a minute, so that the water should start boiling.
- Keep the lid on the pan and lower the flame. Let it cook for about 5 to 7 mins.
- Remove the lid and check if the rice is cooked. If it is not, then you may cook it for some more time. The exact time would depend on the flame; and age and type of the rice being used.
- Khichadi is ready. Serve hot with Papad and Pickle.
To view the detailed recipe video, click on the below link –