“Panchya-Khadya” Modak are modaks which are prepared using the 5 major ingredients – Dates, Peanuts, Cashews, Raisins and Coconut. These modaks can be prepared as an offering to the Lord Ganesh during Ganesh festival. The easy to prepare recipe can help you to make your own modaks for Ganesh offering at your homes or when you visit someone’s home for darshan; rather than buy commonly available mawa or other modaks from the market.
- Dates – Seedless – Half kg
- Crushed Almonds – Half bowl
- Shredded Cashews – 1/4th bowl
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Shredded Coconut – 1 bowl (ready-made store available product can be used)
- Crushed Peanuts – Half bowl
- Raisins – Half bowl
- Pure Ghee(Clarified Butter) – 1 tsp
- Take the dates and finely dice them in the mixer. It will be sticky and rather difficult to dice. You would have to do it in batches.
- Heat the cooking pan and add Half the shredded Coconut, and saute till it is pinkish – which should take about a minute.
- Add the crushed Almonds and shredded Cashews and mix it well for about 20 seconds, post which you need to remove the mixture from the pan.
- Add 1 tsp of Pure Ghee to the empty pan and add the diced Dates to the pan. Saute the diced Dates for about a minute. This would take some effort, since the Dates would be sticky. Try to free it up and keep up the saute process.
- Add the previously prepared Coconut-Almond-Cashew powder to the pan. Add the crushed Peanuts and Raisins. Mix it well.
- Add Cardamom powder and mix it well. Switch off the gas and let it cool for some time.
- Once it cools down, roll the mixture into a dough.
- Roll it into small balls.
- Use a mould of your choice, either a chocolate mould in the shape of modaks or a modak mould to prepare modaks as per shape and size. You need to press the small balls of the mixture into the mould – cool them for some time(15-20 mins – so that they are easier to remove from the mould) and then force them out.
- Apply some of the fine shredded coconut to the modaks.
To view the detailed video recipe, please click on the below link –