While normally Toor Daal(Split Pigeon Peas) are used to prepare daal everyday in most Indian households, in this daal we use Masoor Daal(Red Lentils), giving our daal a twist. Do try this daal with steaming hot rice and generous load of ghee(clarified butter)!
- Masoor Daal(Red Lentils) – 1 bowl
- Garlic petals – cut into pieces – 4 nos.
- Green Chillies – 2 – cut into pieces
- Curry Leaves(Kadipatta) – 4 to 5 nos.
- Piece of Jaggery – As per requirement.
- Fresh grated Coconut – for garnishing
- Finely cut Coriander – for garnishing
- Turmeric powder(Haldi) – Half tsp
- Kokum(Aamsul) – 2 nos.
- Mustard seeds(Mohri) – Half tsp
- Pinch of Asafoetida
- Red Chilly powder – 1 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Medium sized Tomato – cut into small pieces
- Cook the Masoor daal(Red Lentils) in the pressure cooker – for 3 whistles. Mash the cooked daal using a hand blender.
- Heat less than 1 tablespoon oil in a pan
- Once the oil is lukewarm, add the pinch of Asafoetida. Never add Asafoetida in very hot oil.
- After about 10-15 seconds, add mustard seeds and garlic pieces and wait till they start splattering.
- Add Curry leaves and Green Chilly pieces and saute slightly.
- Add Turmeric powder, Red Chilly powder and Tomato pieces
- Saute the same well
- Add the mashed daal to the pan.
- Add about 1 to 1.5 bowls of water.
- Add the piece of Jaggery
- Add the Kokum(Aamsul)
- Add Salt as per taste and mix
- Let the daal boil
- Once the Jaggery melts, garnish with fresh grated Coconut and Coriander.
- Mix and move to the serving bowl.
- Enjoy hot with hot rice and a generous topping of pure ghee!
Click the below link for detailed Video Recipe –