Gavaar”Cluster Beans” and “Bhopla”(Red Pumpkin) mixed vegetable is prepared by Maharashtrian Hindu community in India, among others. This vegetable is also prepared traditionally during “Pitru-Paksha” or “Shraddha” month, when pooja is performed for ancestors and food is served as an offering to the ancestors. This vegetable often finds its place on the plate during such offerings.
- Gavaar or Cluster Beans – 250 gms
- Red Pumpkin – 200 gms
- Red Chilly powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4th tsp
- Asafoetida – Pinch
- Cumin seeds – Half tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Fresh Grated Coconut – for garnishing
- Coriander – for garnishing
- Small piece of Jaggery
- Break the cluster beans into small or medium sized pieces as per requirement. Wash them well.
- Peel the pumpkin. Wash and cut it into pieces as per liking.
- Take less than half tablespoon oil in the cooking pan and heat.
- Once lukewarm, add the Asafoetida.
- Add Cumin seeds after the Asafoetida appears cooked(after about 10 seconds).
- They are considered ready once they start spluttering.
- Add the Cluster beans and saute for about half a minute.
- Add the pumpkin pieces and saute for half a minute.
- Add the Red Chilly powder, Turmeric powder and Salt as per taste.
- Mix well
- Add the piece of Jaggery and 1.5 bowls of water. Mix well.
- Keep the lid on the pan and let it cook for about 5 to 10 mins on a low flame.
- After about 7 to 8 mins, check if the pumpkin and cluster beans are cooked. Based on that, you can decide to cook it more.
- Garnish with Fresh Grated Coconut and Coriander. Mix well.
- It the vegetable is watery, let it cook for half a minute to a minute more till the water dries up.
- Vegetable is ready.
For detailed video recipe, click on the below link –