“Karlyachya Kachryaa” – “Karla”, as it is known in Marathi is also known as “Karela” in Hindi and “Bitter Gourd” in English. Here, we will prepare a crispy variation of this vegetable, which can be consumed as part of the main course, as well as a crispy side dish or a starter.
- Bitter Gourd – 500 gms
- Turmeric powder – Half tsp
- Red Chilly powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – Half tsp
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Pinch of Asafoetida
- Wash the Bitter Gourd.
- Cut it into thin circular pieces.
- Take the Bitter Gourd pieces in a sieve.
- Add Half tsp of Salt.
- Apply the Salt to the Bitter Gourd pieces.
- Let it rest for 5 mins.
- After 5 mins, wash the pieces 2 to 3 times.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of Oil in the pan.
- Add Asafoetida.
- After about 10 secs, add Cumin seeds, till they start spluttering.
- Add the Bitter Gourd pieces.
- Saute them till they turn red and crispy, which would take about 10 mins.
- Add Turmeric powder.
- Add Red Chilly powder,
- Add Sugar.
- Add Salt as per taste. Kindly remember that we had already marinated the Bitter Gourd pieces in the Salt earlier, hence the salt which we add now has to be less.
- Saute and mix for about a minute.
- Move the Bitter Gourd pieces to one side of the pan.
- After a minute, the excess Oil will move out to the empty side, which can be discarded.
- The vegetable/chips are ready.
To view the detailed recipe video, click on the below link –