“Aaliv” or “Halim seeds” or “Garden cress seeds” are considered rich in nutrition with abundant health benefits. Rich in iron, proteins and vitamins, these seeds are known as an expectorant, as well as other health benefits. Traditionally, these are consumed during the winters due to their long list of benefits. Maharashtrians commonly prepare Ladoos made of these seeds as well as a sweet Kheer. While, I have shown the preparation of the kheer in my earlier post, let us look at the Ladoos today.
- Garden cress seeds – 150 gms
- Grated Coconut – 1
- Jaggery – Cut into pieces – 2 bowls
- Nutmeg powder – 1 tsp
- Milk – 1 bowl
- Heat the cooking pan.
- Add the Garden cress seeds to the pan and roast them till they start expanding and popping up.
- Add Milk. Be careful while adding the same, since there are chances of the milk splattering and burning.
- Keep mixing till the Milk is absorbed by the seeds.
- Add grated Coconut and saute/mix the same for about 15-20 secs.
- Add the Jaggery pieces and keep mixing till the Jaggery almost melts completely.
- Add the Nutmeg powder.
- Keep mixing it well. Once it is mixed, the remainder of the Jaggery should also completely melt.
- Saute the mixture for about half a minute, till it is completely dry and does not stick to the pan.
- Move the mixture to a plate and allow it to cool down.
- Once it is cool, start rolling ladoos as per required size.
- There is no need for adding any ghee or oil for smooth rolling, since the Coconut added provides the required lubrication for smoothly rolling the ladoos.
- Ladoos are ready!
For detailed video recipe, please click on the below link –