“Aliv” or “Halim seeds” or “Garden cress seeds” are considered rich in nutrition with abundant health benefits. Rich in iron, proteins and vitamins, these seeds are known as an expectorant, as well as other health benefits. Traditionally, these are consumed during the winters due to their long list of benefits. Maharashtrians commonly prepare Ladoos made of these seeds as well as a sweet Kheer. While kheer is prepared using milk, this preparation uses more of Coconut milk, which gives this kheer an excellent rich taste.
- Thick Milk from 1 Coconut
- Milk – 1 bowl/1 cup
- Garden cress seeds – 100 gms
- Nutmeg powder – Half tsp
- Jaggery – cut into pieces – 1 bowl
- Clean the Garden cress seeds to remove impurities
- Heat the cooking pan and add the Garden cress seeds
- Roast the seeds till they start expanding and splattering
- Add the plain milk. Be careful while adding the same, since there are chances of the hot milk splattering. You may move the cooking pan away from the flame and then add the milk.
- Keep mixing the milk with the seeds to prepare a thick mixture, till the milk is completely absorbed by the seeds.
- Add the Jaggery pieces.
- Keep mixing and roasting the same, till the jaggery completely melts.
- Add the Nutmeg powder and mix well.
- Add the Coconut milk.
- Keep stirring the Coconut milk.
- Once the Milk starts boiling, our Kheer is ready to serve.
- This nutritious kheer is served during winters as well as to pregnant ladies.
For detailed video recipe, click on the below link –