“Gavhachi Kheer” or “Wheat Kheer” is a traditional sweet preparation. Thick broken wheat also known as “Daliya” or “Lapshi” is used for this dish. It is a highly nutritious preparation where the wheat is cooked entirely in milk, thereby giving a rich taste. This recipe is also prepared by the Maharashtrian community on the day of “Pithori” which is the Amavasya or New Moon Day in the Holy month of “Shravan” according to the Hindu calendar.
1) Broken wheat – thick – Lapshi/Daliya – 250 gms(2 types of Dailya is available – in small and big sizes – we are going to use the big sized one here.
2) Milk – 1.5 litres – heated
3) Jaggery – 250 gms
4) Cardamom – 2 pieces
5) Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
6) Nutmeg powder – 1 tsp
7) Pure Ghee – 1 tsp
8) Cashew pieces – Half bowl
1) Heat the pan and add ghee.
2) Once the ghee melts, add the cardamom for tempering for about 15-20 seconds till they grow in size.
3) Add the thick broken wheat and saute for about a minute.
4) Add half of the milk and mix well for few seconds. Add some more milk, leaving little.
5) Let it cook for about 10 to 15 mins, mixing it all the time so that the wheat does not stick to the pan.
6) Once the wheat cooks, add the remaining milk and jaggery.
7) Let the jaggery melt for about 3 mins, while mixing continuously.
8) Add the cashew pieces, cardamom powder and nutmeg powder and mix well.
9) Kheer is ready.
To view the detailed Video Recipe, click on the below YouTube link.